Peak Power provides learning experiences for post-secondary students across the world...
Position: Sports Performance / Strength and Conditioning Student
Job Description: Peak Power Sport Development is seeking like-minded individuals for our Strength and Conditioning Internship Program. These are unpaid positions for enthusiastic and hardworking individuals who wish to build their resume and gain experience as a Strength & Conditioning Coach. Experience is vital when working with athletes in a high performance sport environment and this placement will provide successful applicants with a unique opportunity to coach in one of the most diverse sporting environments in Canada.
The Peak Power Sport Development Strength and Conditioning Internship Program is focused for undergraduate and graduate students of Kinesiology and Exercise/Sports Science. The student commits to volunteering with Peak Power and provides specific objectives and outcomes that meet the students' learning goals as well as the expectations of our staff. Students will actively engage in their own educational and professional growth through conscious reflection and analysis. Individuals will have the opportunity to shadow alongside and learn from our experienced Strength and Conditioning coaches and aid in the preparation and implementation of programming to over 700 SAIT Varsity, High School and Elite level athletes in men’s and women’s sports including; Olympic Weightlifting, Golf, Soccer, Lacrosse, Rugby, Football, Powerlifting, Basketball, Hockey & Alpine Skiing. From Amateur to Pro Athletes.
- Students should be competent in general exercise physiology and kinesiology
- Students should be well versed in a variety of training techniques
- Students should be professional, clean, honest, and responsible
- Students should be possess good time management skills
- Students should be eager to learn and accepting of constructive criticism
- Students must be comfortable interacting with others (staff, athletes, parents, coaches, etc.)
- Students will experience and gain knowledge in:
- Olympic Weightlifting
- Program Design and Periodization
- Strength and Conditioning
- Exercise Physiology Testing
- Shadowing and coaching athletes of all ages and abilities
- Working with a variety of sports, teams and injuries
Internship Schedule: Schedules are developed in accordance with academic terms and all internship students typically volunteer 40 hours per week throughout the duration of their term. Internships typically run 12-15 weeks long.
- Fall Term: September to December (4 Positions) App. Deadline: June 15th
- Winter Term: January to April (4 Positions) App. Deadline: November 1st
- Spring/Summer Term: May to August (4 Positions) App. Deadline: March 15th (Dates are subject to change. Please contact Peak Power for specific dates.)
- Minimum 3rd year undergrad Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Current CPR/First Aid
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume and references to Bea Mikkola (email@example.com) with the subject line ‘Internship Enquiry’. Applications are accepted throughout the year with 4 positions available each academic term.
Past internship post-secondary institutions include:
- University of Calgary
- Mount Royal University
- University of Alberta
- University of Lethbridge
- University of Windsor
- University of Victoria
- University of Regina
- University of Guelph - Humber
- University of Mississippi
- Limerick Institute of Technology
- Athlone Institute of Technology
- Dublin City University
* We have had students from colleges and universities from around the World. The terminology of Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Physical Education etc. may vary from institute to institute. One program may be called a 'Practicum' and another called 'Shadowing'. Peak Power has been a learning environment for students for close to 10 years and accommodates various academic mandates, from taking attendance to teaching classes and doing formal evaluations.
Peak Power Sport Development
1301 – 16 Ave N.W.
Calgary, AB, Canada