Michael Souster, M.Sc., B.Kin (Hon)
Director PPSD, Exercise Physiologist
Peak Power Director and Founder Michael Souster primarily coaches power sport athletes. His expertise in Olympic Weightlifting, Powerlifting, Long Term Athlete Development and Periodization provide Michael with the foundation to design and deliver advanced and comprehensive training programs for any athlete.
After completing his undergraduate degree in Kinesiology at the University of Calgary, Michael obtained his Masters of Science degree in Exercise Physiology from the University of Alberta. As a former varsity and national level sprinter/hurdler, Michael combines his knowledge of sport science with his own experience as an athlete.
Since 1995, Michael has had the privilege of working with pretty much every type of athlete from grassroots to professional levels, helping them to reach their full potential through a variety of physical preparation methods. A few of the high lights from Michael’s career experiences include:
· 20 years as Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for the SAIT Trojans
· Developed and wrote the NHL’s Edmonton Oilers first summer dryland program
· Head Strength & Conditioning Coach for numerous Provincial organizations such as Alberta Weightlifting, Alberta Golf, Alberta Freestyle Ski, Alberta Alpine Ski, Alberta Basketball, Alberta Cross-Country Ski, Alberta Rugby, Alberta Skeleton and Alberta Volleyball.
· Team Canada head Coach at the World Bench Championships in 2006 (Hungary), 2008 (Czech Republic), 2009 (Luxembourg) 2010 (USA), 2011 (Austria), 2012 (USA) and 2015 (USA).
· Developed and wrote the Canadian Powerlifting Unions National Coaching Certification Program
· Coach of numerous Powerlifters that have world records (14 World Records)
· Coached Powerlifters to hundreds of National Records and Championship Titles
· NCCP Coach Developer for Olympic Weightlifting in Alberta
· One of Canada’s only certified World Rugby Strength and Conditioning Coaches
As well as serving as Director and Head Exercise Physiologist of PPSD, Michael serves as an instructor for Mount Royal University for the Personal Fitness Trainer Extension Diploma program. This program is designed to respond to the competitive demands for well-trained and knowledgeable personal fitness trainers. It also guides potential trainers through a combination of academic and technical courses as well as practical skill development. Michael also acts as a supervisor for undergraduate and graduate students at numerous post secondary institutions in Alberta (Mount Royal, University of Lethbridge, University of Calgary and University of Alberta) and other institution’s around Canada and Internationally.
In addition, Michael has spent time assisting and sitting on several Academic Advisory and Business Boards. He currently sits as Chair of the Canadian Weightlifting Federation Coaches Committee, Director of two non-profit organizations and a Board of Director Member for a Land Developing company.
Michael lives in Calgary with his three daughters, Madison, Molly and Emerson.
"Train Them As Much As Necessary, Not As Much As Possible" Henk Kraaijenhof